Google makes significant changes to its ranking algorithm that affect a large number of indexed web pages in the form of core updates once every two or three months on average. The updates are meant to enhance the quality and relevance of Google’s search results by shuffling the rankings of indexed webpages. For example, a webpage that was at the top before the core update may now be at the bottom, or vice versa.
A core update can affect 5 to 10% of all searches by affecting Google’s search engine optimization (SEO). If your webpage does not fit into the criteria based on the core update, the ranking of your webpage may drop. Some updates, like the Panda update, can impose penalties on the ranking of a website’s search. Along with ranking, they restructure Google’s search engine results pages (SERPs) and add, remove, or modify alternative listings such as People Also Ask (PAA) listings, featured snippets, and knowledge graph panels in its SERPs.
Here are some of the key facts from core update:
- Promote well organized web pages.
- The impact can be seen globally in all regions and languages.
- They impact Google Discover and other features.
- Google’s core update advice can help you improve the quality of content if you are hit by the update.
- Google will do periodic refreshes to the algorithm.
- The changes are made to enhance the system’s access to overall content related to websites.
How to prevent a hit from core updates?
Since, the core updates are intended to enhance Google’s search results, there are certain factors you can consider to prevent getting setbacks from the core updates:
- Focus more on your website’s content and less on off site promotion.
- Backlinks can help to expand your website’s presence as a popular online brand.
- Avoid black-hat or other manipulative SEO practices such as keyword stuffing, link spam, or paid links, as Google may penalise websites for such practices.
How to Improve the Quality of Your Content?
Google’s core updates focus on the content more than other factors. Therefore, if you want to make the most of the core updates, here are some of the tips to consider to improve the quality of your content:
- Content should provide original information, reporting, research, or analysis.
- The content should have a substantial, complete, and comprehensive description of the topic.
- Avoid paraphrasing and add originality to the content.
- Headlines or titles should provide a descriptive and helpful summary of the content and avoid exaggeration or shocking titles.
- While creating the content, keep a few things in mind, such as making your content worth sharing.
- Make your content worth being used as a reference.
Thus, the above-mentioned tips can help you enhance the content quality of your website and increase the chances of ranking highly on Search Engine Result Pages (SERPs) after Google’s latest core update rolls out completely.
To check where your website stands after the latest update or to get more information on Google’s core updates, you can visit Google’s webmaster Central Blog, webmasters.googleblog.com.