Our average attention span is less than that of a goldfish. Shocked! But, it is a fact that the attention span of a goldfish is 9 seconds, whereas ours is 8.25 seconds. It did not take more than 15 years to lower our average span from 12 seconds to 8.25 seconds. What does this mean and how will it impact marketers and business owners? Now they have just a few seconds to grab their audiences’ attention, use better content than their competitors, and be creative and unique.
With the success of Tik Tok videos in the last few years, Instagram and YouTube also understood the relevance and impact of short videos to grab the attention of their audience, which is why they introduced reels and shorts respectively on their platforms. As a marketer, you have just a few seconds to attract, influence, and encourage your audience to connect with your brand.
Here are some of the reasons why short-form videos like reels and shorts are the next generation of content marketing:
- Content is to the point: Since marketers have only a few seconds to talk about their brand, they put all the important and relevant features, which help consumers decide on the pros and cons of the product without taking much time.
- Meets Both Costumers and Marketers’ Expectation: Customers look out for content that is informative, engaging, and entertaining. Long videos sometimes tend to become boring and lose their essence, whereas there is no such scope for short videos, and that is why customers prefer short videos over longer ones. Short videos, on the other hand, are advantageous for marketers in terms of both money and time, as they are inexpensive and take little time to create.
- Ideal for Social Media: Users look out for social media not just for entertainment but for information, and since their feeds are flooded with content, it is not easy to hold their attention for a long time, thus short videos for reels and shorts are ideal for social mediamarketing to grab your audience’s attention and reach out to more and more people.
- Keep Up with the Trend: Trends keep on changing every day, and trying to keep up with the trend through long videos that take days to shoot and edit is not a good option. whereas, because reels and shorts are simple, inexpensive, and quick to create, you can easily follow the trend and be relevant to your audience in real time without spending a lot of money or time.
Thus, reels and shorts, due to their agility, affordability, and brevity, are gaining popularity and will continue to do so in the future. As a marketer, you need to utilise these short video concepts to stay relevant, entertaining, and informative for your audience.
Here are a few tips to get the best out of short-form videos:
- Be clear with your message, and use relevant information in a short time.
- emphasis on ease of navigation.
- Focus on the customer’s taste.
- Use trending audio and videos for more reach.
- Keep a professional touch in your short videos.
- Collaborate with influencers.